Interlibrary Loan Procedures
- Every title will be verified in one of the following standard library bibliographic verification tools, with the source cited on the request. The abbreviation "CNV" should be used if the requesting library cannot verify the request.
Books (preferred order of use):
Member Online Catalogs
Books in Print (BIP)
Any recognized acquisition tool
Bibliography (include citation of the source)
- Periodicals (preferred order of use):
CAMLS Union List of Periodical Holdings (CULPH)
Biomedical Serials in Selected Northeast Ohio Libraries (BMS)
Member Online Catalogs
- OHIOLINK Catalog
- Any additional information that will help the lending library will be included (i.e., Juv, French edition, book in foreign language, volume number).
Interlibrary loan request forms must indicate copyright compliance. "CCG" conforms with CONTU Guidelines. Use for photocopies - conforms if five or fewer copies from the last five years of journal title are requested within any one calendar year. The burden of proof rests with the requesting library. Interlibrary loan requests must be kept for three years, plus the current year.
"CCL" complies with Copyright Law. Refers to the borrowing of books or photocopies from journals more than five years old.
The location of every title requested will be determined before placing the request. Locations may be verified in the following tools:
Member Online Catalogs
National Union Catalog
CAMLS Union List of Periodical Holdings
OCLC Serials Union Lists Groups
Biomedical Serials in Selected Northeast Ohio Libraries Member Online Catalogs
Mode of Request
CAMLS libraries can request interlibrary loans via U.S. Mail, FAX, OCLC, daily delivery service or telephone. If there is a preferred mode of delivery, it must be clearly indicated on the request form. Requests will be handled as follows:
- NON-RUSH Requests - These requests may be transmitted via FAX, OCLC, telephone, daily delivery service, or U.S. Mail. They will be filled by daily delivery service, UPS, or U.S. Mail.
- RUSH Requests - These requests, marked "RUSH", should be transmitted by fax and will be filled by FAX within 24 hours.
- URGENT Requests - These requests should be arranged by telephone with the lending library and then followed by a FAX request marked 'URGENT." These requests will be filled immediately.
Requesting libraries must use either a standard ALA ILL form or the CAMLS fax form. The CAMLS Fax Request form is preferred because it identifies CAMLS requests and includes spaces for mode of delivery, referral strings, and replies. (See the "Forms" section of the web site for a printable copy of the CAMLS Fax form).
Request Procedure - Books
The requesting library can request an interlibrary loan directly to a potential library via one of the following:
Telefacsimile: Use CAMLS FAX Request Form or standard ALA ILL Form; indicate "CAMLS Request" at top of form.
U.S. Mail: Use Standard ALA ILL Form; indicate "CAMLS Request" at top of form.
The Cuyahoga County Public Library (CCPL) serves as the contracting library for the CAMLS OCLC ILL service. Sign up with CAMLS for the OCLC ILL service and follow the guidelines listed below.
To contact the Cuyahoga County Public Library (CCPL) Interlibrary Loan Department by telephone, dial 216-749-9512.
1. Form - Use any of the following forms to submit your interlibrary loan request
- a. CAMLS Interlibrary Loan form http//camls.org/images/CAILLFAX.GIF
- b. ALA ILL form (indicate CAMLS request)
- c. Any standardized local form if all the necessary elements are included (e.g., copyright compliance)
- d. Electronically produced ILL form
2. Content - Please include the following for each interlibrary loan request
- a. CAMLS Request Number (CAMLS symbol and an assigned number)
- b. Author (last name first, first name)
- c. Title
- d. Full citation for magazine article
- e. Copyright compliance
- f. Maximum cost if appropriate to request
- g. OCLC number if available
- h. Imprint - publication, publisher, date of publication
- i. Any special instructions
3. Method of Request - To expedite this process, please submit your request in the following manner (preferred order listed first).
a. Submit the request electronically using the OCLC interlibrary loan form on OCLC
- First Search; or
b. Fax the request to CCPL's Interlibrary Loan Department (216-398-6104) using a
- CAMLS interlibrary loan form; or
c. Send the request, using a CAMLS interlibrary loan form, using the CAMLS daily
- delivery service; or
d. E-mail the request, with all relevant data to CCPL's Interlibrary Loan Department:
e. Send the request, using a CAMLS interlibrary loan form to
- Interlibrary Loan Department
- Cuyahoga County Public Library
- 2111 Snow Road
- Parma, OH 44134
4. CCPL Duties (request processing) - CCPL will do one of the following
- a. Check its own collection and databases and send materials if available.
- b. Place the request on OCLC.
- c. The CAMLS library will be notified if the item is not available on OCLC or database to which CCPL has access.
5. CCPL Duties (shipping) - CCPL will notify the library when an item requested on OCLC has been shipped by the lender or if an item is unfilled. When a request status is "SHIPPED" on OCLC, CCPL will send the CAMLS libraries two copies of the request.
6. Returns - The CAMLS library will notify CCPL when an item is returned so that the records may be updated. One copy of the printout of the request is returned to CCPL so that the OCLC record may be updated to 'RETURNED" (for books and A-V). Send the printout to the attention of the ILL Department. See #3e above for the complete address.
7. Negotiations - Negotiations with the lender are the responsibility of the CAMLS library.
8. Lost or Damaged Materials - The CAMLS library is responsible for the returning of materials to the lender and for any lost or damaged materials.
Request Prodcedure - Photocopies
- CAMLS libraries have agreed to supply photocopies at no charge, the exceptions are Cleveland Public Library (CPL), Cleveland Health Sciences Library (CHSL), and Cleveland State University (CSU). Request journal articles from the no fee suppliers in the same way as you request other interlibrary loans.
- CAMLS pays CSU and CHSL to provide backup service for photocopies. When you have exhausted the no fee locations, then use CSU and CHSL.
- CPL provides photocopies on a direct fee-based service to requesting libraries.
Procedures with Contracting Libraries
Each CAMLS member library receives a total of 25 interlibrary loans, each year, from CSU and CHSL at no charge. When the number of requests exceeds 25, CAMLS will bill the library the following fiscal year at the rate stated on the Memorandum of Agreement.
Instructions for OCLC Libraries:
Use OCLC subsystem and follow OCLC procedure. Place CSU in the lender string and specify
"CAMLS" in the "SHIP VIA field".
Instructions for non-OCLC Libraries:
Place requests in one of two ways:
- U.S. Mail: Use standard ALA ILL Form, indicate "CAMLS Request" at top of form, mail to CSU ILL Department.
- Telefacsimile: Use CAMLS FAX Request Form or standard ALA ILL Form, indicate "CAMLS Request" at top of form, and fax to CSU ILL Department at (216) 687-2383.
Instructions for OCLC Libraries: Use OCLC subsystem and follow OCLC procedure. Place CHSL in the lender string and specify "CAMLS" in the "SHIP VIA" field.
Instructions for non-OCLC Libraries:
Requests may be placed in one of two ways:
- U.S.Mail: Use standard ALA ILL Form, indicate "CAMLS Request" at top of form, and mail to CHSL ILL Department.
- Telefacsimile: Use CAMLS Fax Request Form or standard ALA ILL Form and indicate "CAMLS Request" at top of form, or use CAMLS Fax Request Form, and fax to CHSL ILL Department at 216-368-6421.
The desired mode of delivery should be noted on these forms. CHSL does not fax materials unless the form indicates a fax is desired.
- Replies to the requesting library via OCLC, CAMLS ILL Form or standard ALA ILL Forms will be made as soon as possible, preferably within one business day.
- OCLC replies appear on the terminal. If there are lending restrictions (i.e., For use in library only, fragile, etc.), they will be noted in the reply on OCLC as Conditional Response under STATUS, with conditions in 'LENDING NOTES.'
- Replies from Cuyahoga County Public Library to non-OCLC libraries are made by telephone for unfilled requests only.
- Lending restrictions (i.e., for use in library only, fragile, no photocopy allowed, handle with care, etc.) will be marked clearly on the material.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR REQUESTING LIBRARIES:
- When a CAMLS ILL is received, the requesting library will process it for loan to the user according to its own internal system.
- Either the CAMLS ILL Transaction Slip or an in-house equivalent should remain with the item throughout the loan period. These slips serve as an identification of an ILL recognized by all CAMLS libraries.
- Requesting libraries will abide by any lending restrictions imposed by the lending library: for example, "For use in library only".
- Each library will keep a current file of all materials borrowed from CAMLS members.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR LENDING LIBRARIES:
- All materials lent as a result of a CAMLS ILL request will include the CAMLS ILL Transaction Slip or an in-house equivalent.
- These slips will remain with the item throughout the loan period and are the only identification of an ILL recognized by all CAMLS libraries.
- Each library will keep a record of materials lent to CAMLS members, using whatever system is utilized in that library.
- A variety of methods exists for the delivery and return of interlibrary loans among CAMLS libraries. Use one of the following:
Delivery System - Use if both the lending and requesting libraries are on the daily delivery system.
U.S. Mail or a Common Carrier
- Statistical Reports
- A monthly statistical report will be submitted by each participating library to the CAMLS office by the fifth of each month using the CAMLS ILL Monthly Report Form (IL-4). Please report borrowing and lending among all CAMLS libraries. You may e-mail your monthly statistics to Marge at
- Individual ILL problems with a specific library should be discussed with that library's ILL contact.
- Unresolved or other ILL problems should be reported to the CAMLS Executive Director.
Please call the CAMLS office for any forms which are not found at the web site.
Back to Interlibrary Loan