Computer Support and Instruction Specialist (posted 6-25)
- Title: Computer Support and Instruction Specialist (posted 6-25)
- Name of Organization: The University of Akron School of Law Library
- Principal duties: Provide hardware and software support for all the School of Law computer users; install, configure, and maintain computer hardware; manage the Law Library's student computing lab; supervise lab assistants; develop documentation; train users; and be responsible for operation and repair of peripherals such as printers, CD-ROM drives, disk drives, and modems; and perform other duties as required by the Law Librarian. The position requires working with the University's network computing staff to support the School's local area network. The person in this position is the School of Law webmaster. This job supports e-mail, internet access, word processing, and spreadsheet software in a Windows 95 environment on a Banyan Vines or Windows NT academic network. You will be expected to provide individual and group instruction in using various software packages. Additional responsibilities include: Circulation and maintenance of portable computers in the School of Law; managing the software in the Law Library's collection for office use and the software that circulates to library users; and maintaining the hardware and software associated with ZipLINK and OhioLINK, the online library systems used by the Law Library.
- Qualifications/Requirements: This position has a broad range of work requirements but many individuals with many backgrounds may have the necessary expertise and ability to perform the job successfully. People with a background in computer science, librarians, lawyers, and others with strong work experience with microcomputers, instruction and computer networks are urged to apply. A bachelor degree from an accredited college or university is required. Experience with hardware and software support of microcomputers is required. Having experience providing computer instruction is required. Good written and oral communications skills are required. You must be able to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical people. Experience in web site development and maintenance is a plus. Knowledge and experience operating a Banyan Vines server and Windows NT server is a plus. Experience with computer network software and hardware is a plus. Library experience is a plus. Legal training is a plus. Some evenings and weekend work may be required for training and maintenance of the network. The position is available as of July 1, 1998.
- Contact: Law Librarian, Paul Richert, The University of Akron, School of Law Library, 150 University Avenue, Akron, OH 44325-2902
- Submit: Application and three references
- Deadline: September 30, 1998
Back to Non-MLS Jobs
- Send e-mail to
- produced 9/26/96
- copyright © 1996 Cleveland Area Metropolitan Library System