Librarian - akron-Summit County Public Library (posted 12-1)
- Title: Librarian - akron-Summit County Public Library (posted 12-1)
- Name of Organization: Akron-Summit County Public Library
- Location: Fine Arts and Recreation Division
- Hours: Full-time (37.5 hours) including evening and weekend hours
- Salary: Grade 6, $1070.05 biweekly
- Principal duties: Advises and assists patrons in the selection, organization, and interpretation of library materials; helps patrons locate research materials; answers reference questions in person or by telephone using a variety of print and automated resources; compiles bibliographies and locates hard-to-find reference materials; conducts database searches; participates in book selection in assigned subject areas; maintains assigned special files or services; gives talks to community groups; directs tours of the library; and performs other tasks as assigned.
- Qualifications/Requirements: A Master of Library Science (MLS) degree issued by an ALA accredited school of library and information science is required and some previous library experience is preferred. Knowledge of professional library science including familiarity with reference and bibliographic resources in the FAR subject areas; knowledge of reader interest levels; knowledge of publishers and their practices; good research skills; ability to speak and write effectively; sound professional judgment; ability to direct the work of others; and good customer relations skills including a pleasing personality and the ability to get along well with others. Applicants within 6 credit hours or less towards completion of the MLS will also be considered under certain conditions. Individuals hired under these conditions will begin as a Sr. Public Service Assistant, Grade 5, Step 1 ($11.5527/hour)and upon confirmation of completion of the MLS degree will be moved to Librarian, Grade 6, Step 1, ($14.2673/hour).
- Contact: Human Resources Department, Akron-Summit County Public Library, 55 South Main Street, Akron, OH 44326-0001
- Submit: Resume, a cover letter indicating previous applicable professional experience and training, and three references.
- Deadline: 5:00 p.m. Monday, December 7, 1998
Back to MLS jobs
- Send e-mail to
- produced 9/26/96
- copyright © 1996 Cleveland Area Metropolitan Library System